In keeping with our church’s mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ, our church has instituted a scholarship program to encourage our members, especially our youth, to develop their gifts and talents to be used for the Lord by pursuing a degree or certificate program beyond the secondary school level.
The Scholarship Program is funded by designated contributions (use envelopes in the pews marked Scholarship Fund, or United Methodist Student Day in member's packets).
If applying for a two year program, the maximum award up to $600 for the year. If applying for a four year program, the maximum award up to $1,000 for the year. The grant award is good for two semesters, and applicants must reapply for the following semesters.
Scholarship application forms are available at the Church Office in Burns Hall, the Youth Office in The Light House, at the Welcome Center in the Lobby of The Sanctuary, and on the church web site. Completed applications, including Official Transcripts, must be received in the church office by March 15 for the following school year school year (September-May of that school year). The Scholarship Committee will meet by May 30 and recipients will be notified in early June.
To be eligible for a scholarship award, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be a member of the First United Methodist Church of Spring Hill, Florida for at least one year by the time the scholarship would be awarded, and must demonstrate active participation during the previous year in some aspect of the church program, such as, but not limited to, worship attendance, Bible study attendance, Youth Mission Trip participation, service as usher, choir member, etc.
2. Applicant must be a high school graduate or a graduating senior and must have applied to or been accepted for or be currently enrolled in any course of study as a full-time degree candidate in an accredited college or university, a two-year college, or a certified vocational program (hereinafter referred to as “school”).
3. Applicant already in school must have maintained a grade point average of 2.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) in the last year of attendance.
4. Applicant must have an Official Transcript sent to the Church Office from the School(s) in which they are currently enrolled, and this must be received by the March 15 deadline. (Applicants for Continuation of Scholarship Grants may send official transcripts after spring semester grades are available.)
5. Applicant may be required to interview in person with the Scholarship Committee.
6. Applicant may need to show financial need in the event that there are more applicants than available funds.
7. Applicant desiring to continue scholarship support must reapply annually in March for the following school year. He/she must demonstrate ongoing and reasonable participation in Christian activities either on campus or in a community church.
All scholarship money issued will be in the form of a grant (not a loan) and will be sent directly to the school at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. It is the responsibility of the recipient to advise the Committee of the name and address of the financial aid or other office where the check should be sent.
The Scholarship Fund is solely supported by members and organizations of the First United Methodist Church of Spring Hill.
# # # #
NOTE: To access Scholarship Application page, CLICK HERE
# # # #